Monday, September 11, 2006

Major Dwayne Williams ~ Friends Remember


Learning about Major Dwayne Williams has been a journey I will never forget. Along the way, I found so many tributes written to Dwayne ~ floating in the space of the Internet, like many little silent prayers. I am sure there are many more that I have not seen, in addition to the many silent prayers sent above. They seem to combine to create a large prayer for a man much loved, much remembered and much missed. I will share a few of them here.



Dwayne:
You were always a good family friend and a strong role model for myself and your son. I know that you are in Heaven now serving the Lord...thank you for your service to our country. You are and always will be missed. God bless you and God bless America.
--2dLt Jason Constantine


MAJ Williams:
You knew me as CPT McGinis when I was one of your Advance Course students. Now, I'm a Major! But, I wouldn't be here if it weren't for you. Remember when we were out in the field and you simulated a gas attack. I started running first instead of putting on my gas mask. My eyes burned so bad, so I closed them. But, I forgot to stop running and put my mask on. So I ended up being clothes-lined by a wire supporting a telephone pole. I ended up straight on my back. I was praying no one saw me. But during our after action report of the simulation, YOU BROUGHT IT UP! I was so embarrassed, but it was so funny! You just kept looking at me laughing and shaking your head from side to side. You also told me that Tammy, your wonderful wife, would watch my kids on a day we had to be in class and my boys were out of school. I said, "Don't you want to ask her first?" You told me no, it's alright. and sure enough my boys had a great time with Kelsie and Tyler. Thank you so much. I miss seeing you on AOL and telling you where I am and what has been going on. Rest in peace my dear friend.
--MAJ Claudia (McGinnis) Jefferson


We lived next door to the Williams family for almost three years. I can't tell you how many times Dwayne helped us. My husband Jerry traveled a lot and Dwayne was always ready to help. He planted trees in my back yard, raced my dog Sassy up and down the fence line almost daily (for the mutual exercise benefit he said), came over at midnight to get a dead mouse from my closet (I'm afraid of mice), always mowed our lawn when Jerry was out of town and I could fill up a book with many more acts of kindness. We saw daily what a good husband, father, friend and Army officer he was. Jerry or I chatted with him via Instant Message almost every day. We will always love and miss him. We are both better people because we knew him and his family.
--Debbie & Jerry Alley


I had the great opportunity to know and serve with Dwayne. Though his time in this world was short, he made the world a better place. Dwayne taught me quite a lot of things over the years, but most importantly, he taught me what a true friend was. Though it has been six months, I still feel like I will get online on Saturday morning and he will be there to answer me. Dwayne was a true servant to his country and was proud of what he did. I doubt that I will ever know a finer person than him. I will miss him, but will rejoice in the fact that he is now with God. God bless him and his family. Rangers Lead The Way!
--Michael Saunders


I first met Major Williams when he became my Commander at Ft. Jackson. He was by far my best commander. I was an instructor at the school and he was always caring and concerned about his Soldiers whether they were cadre or students. I remember how he would come to my classroom and ask about students who were having a difficult time with the course and what could be done to help them succeed. I also remember seeing and greeting his lovely family at Daniel Circle. he always talked about this family and how much he loved them. His other love was his green mustang which I used to see him driving around Ft. Jackson. I was so saddened to hear of his departure, but my heart rejoices to know that he is in his eternal home and watching over the ones he left behind. Major Williams' death has made it personal for me and will never forget him of the family he left behind.
--Denise Humphrey-Parker, SFC/USA Retired

Dwayne and I commanded together at Fort Jackson, SC and from the very first time I met him; I knew he was a caring person. From that time on, he was always the same way: A Giver. I knew him to be the kind of person who always gave of himself in order for others to excel. One of my favorite scriptures that remind me of his heroic acts during 911 is: John 15:12-13 "This is my commandment, that ye love one another, as I have loved you. Greater love hath no man than this, than a man lay down his life for his friend." I will always remember the heroic act of my true friend. Tammy, Tyler and Kelsie, you may have thought that Dwayne was taken from you, but he was given to God, to do his work in heaven. Continue to trust God, because one day, God's gonna ask you to come work for Him in heaven, too. What a great reunion that will be.
--MAJ Michael & Rita Davis

MAJ Dwayne Williams, then my Battalion XO, took me under his wing and guided me through very difficult moments. I am certain I had a very successful company command thanks to the wisdom, knowledge and leadership that MAJ Williams shared with me. I was not able to personally thank him for all he did for me, but I am sure that he knew how much I appreciated every moment I spent learning from him. Tammy, you lost a great husband, the Army
lost a great officer, and I lost a great mentor.
--CPT Elliot Q. Gomez
More tributes can be found at Legacy.com, or you may leave your own.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sobbing. I don't know what else to say.

Thank you so much for all the work you did in sharing a little of the life of this great American.