Saturday, July 12, 2008

Tony Snow ~ The Passing of a Great American

Tony Snow
June 1, 1955 ~ July 12, 2008




I woke this morning to the very sad news about the passing of Tony Snow. Tony has lost his battle with cancer. A battle he confronted bravely and publically. When Tony was diagnosed with cancer, I like millions of Americans, dropped him a get well note. Tony answered everyone.

THE WHITE HOUSE
Washington

Thanks so much for the kind note - and for including me in your thoughts and prayers.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate you thinking of me and raising my name in prayer. Prayers have enormous power. They're good medicine - and they certainly have lifted my spirits. I feel as if I have been borne on the shoulders of thousands of friends, all of whom have made the ride easier than I ever could have imagined.

We're blessed to live in a land where people just want an excuse to do something good for someone else. Thanks for taking advantage of that opportunity with me. Please encourage others to do it closer to home for other friends in need. Kind words, notes, emails, and small gestures have a way of lightening the load, while making our own lives richer and more rewarding. Again, thanks for the incredible gift of caring.

God bless,
TONY SNOW


Much will be written about Tony today. About his life, his career, his passion for and talent for music - he played six insturments (trombone, flute, piccolo, accordion, saxophone, guitar) and had a band, Beats Workin'. He adored his family - his wife Jill, his son, Robbie, his daughters Kendall and Kristi. He worked in two White House Administrations - George H W Bush and George W Bush. His collegues will tell stories about him. They will draw their favorite images in words - such as his voracious reading and intellect - his offices overflowing with books, the cartons of books he toted around. We will hear about the music, the marathon runs, the joy he left is his wake. We will be reminded that this was a good man.

What I will remember about Tony Snow was his smile and his laughter and his love for his family. He could present the news in a way that was informative and hopeful. I will remember him for trying to alert the country to the dangers of colon cancer - a disease that claimed his mother when he was 17. Despite his awareness, he was not to escape it. But, because of him, I have. Because of Tony, I got that colonoscopy. I was lucky. My tumor was found early. My surgery was successful. I wonder how many of us are here today because of Tony Snow.

God Bless you Tony. Our prayers now will be with your family as they go down this difficult road alone.

TheWhite House
Washington

Laura and I are deeply saddened by the death of our dear friend, Tony Snow. Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife, Jill, and their children, Kendall, Robbie, and Kristi. The Snow family has lost a beloved husband and father. And America has lost a devoted public servant and a man of character.

Tony was one of our Nation's finest writers and commentators. He earned a loyal following with incisive radio and television broadcasts. He was a gifted speechwriter who served in my father's Administration. And I was thrilled when he agreed to return to the White House to serve as my Press Secretary. It was a joy to watch Tony at the podium each day. He brought wit, grace, and a great love of country to his work. His colleagues will cherish memories of his energetic personality and relentless good humor.

All of us here at the White House will miss Tony, as will the millions of Americans he inspired with his brave struggle against cancer. One of the things that sustained Tony Snow was his faith - and Laura and I join people across our country in praying that this good man has now found comfort in the arms of his Creator.

--President George W Bush

4 comments:

Sarge Charlie said...

We have lost a great American, no doubt he will be missed.

Buck said...

You're right about Mr. Snow, Cynthia. I was struck by the anecdotes his colleagues recounted over the weekend on FNC. I knew he was a great newsperson, I was much less in tune with what a great PERSON he was.

And your personal interaction with him is just amazing. I'm oh-so-grateful your encounter with colon cancer turned out well; I only wish we could say the same for Mr. Snow.

RIP, Tony.

Anonymous said...

We seem to be losing a lot of good ones, lately. Godspeed....

Anonymous said...

spent hours this past Saturday night watching Fox Network TV coverage of the death of Tony Snow.

Politicians, media figures, even rock stars like Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull told stories of their friendship and respect for Tony Snow. They admired him not only as a media figure, but also for his dedication as a father of three and husband.

I first became a fan of Tony Snow when he was fill-in host on conservative commentator Rush Limbaugh’s radio show. Snow would later have his own radio show. Then he became press secretary for President Bush.

Snow was one of those people you couldn’t help but like.

He had good looks and a warm smile.

He got his political message across in a non-offensive way.

He and I had more in common than broadcasting. We both played in rock bands.

Snow played flute, guitar and saxophone in a group called “Beats Workin’.” Great name for a band.

The video I saw Saturday night certainly showed how much he enjoyed performing music.

I know the feeling.

Tony Snow’s early exit from this world at age 53 was due to colon cancer. The disease had claimed his mother’s life at 38. He had fought his disease valiantly.

He lost his thick head of hair in the battle, but never his smile.

The most touching scene I watched Saturday night was video of his final day as White House press secretary. As he exited the building for the last time, hundreds of people were lined up along walkways and on stairs, giving him hugs, handshakes and deafening applause.

For that moment, despite his disease, Tony Snow must’ve felt on top of the world.