Monday, January 28, 2008

I Heard the News......

Monday morning I heard the news - "Five Soldiers Killed by an IED in Mosul, Iraq" - for some reason it sent shivers up my spine - much like those announcements did early in the war. But, I passed it off - until the email came. And, now, I hover between denial and grief.

I keep checking your MySpace page - surely you have logged in. And, I laugh everytime I do, as you are the only reason I have a MySpace page - it was your way of communicating on your last deployment. I still don't understand the thing.

Now, I am waiting for the DOD Release - the last proof to know for sure - though my source has impecable information.

I look at your wedding picture - just six months ago. I remember when you met - on leave in the fall of 2006. You were as giddy as a school boy. I watched your love grow and your relationship mature. I think of this young widow with only a few months of together time for the two of you. I am so very sad.

I think of you - of the funny pictures you sent and the long journals of your time in Iraq and about your faith and your love for your wife. I see your smile. I hear the dramatization and exaggeration in your stories - Lord, you could tell a story worth listening to. I remember when you wrote and said, "I got shot - don't tell my parents."

And, now it is Tuesday morning and your wife has acknowledged on her MySpace page what I already knew. The DOD Release has yet to come - still pending notification for all five of you, I'm sure. I know the names already and they were people you told me about - men who ate the junk food I sent to you!

I won't write your name until the DOD does. But, that does not stop me from grieving. I take some comfort in the profound faith that you had in God. I pray for your wife and your parents and your sisters and your military family and all of us who learned to love you over the years.

15 comments:

Buck said...

I'm so sorry, Cynthia. While we all grieve for our losses, the ones that are personal are the VERY hardest.

My condolences.

Flag Gazer said...

Thank you Buck - this is a tough one for me...

He was a great kid - they all are, but I knew this one.

Ottavio (Otto) Marasco said...

It takes on a different perspective in these circumstances. I am not pretending to understand exactly what you are feeling for I could not. It certainly cannot be easy…Sincere condolences, we pray for all…

Mark Harvey aka Snooper said...

Well? As hard as this was to read even though you have mentioned this incident on our shows, it must have been astronomically harder to write.

Every time I "hear the news" I cringe.

MJ is still in Kuwait...I spoke with him today. He is in good spirits and will rejoin his unit soon in a limited capacity but he wants to resume his duties.

Flag Gazer said...

AI - Thank you...

Snooper - I know - what else can I say? I am so glad that MJ is OK - I was relieved when I heard Kuwait! Of course he wanted to rejoin his unit - that's who these amazing men are. God Bless them all.

Leo Pusateri said...

Cynthia, my condolences for your loss... and my undying gratitude to Sgt. James Craig.

Gary said...

Cynthia, (aka FG)

I am so sorry for your loss. And to the families, please accept my condolences. Though it breaks my heart each time one of our best is lost, I am truly thankful that there are men and women still willing to stand between my family and an enemy that would kill them without hesitation.

May their memories live for ever. Semper Fi!

Mike's America said...

In a war in which we have been so fortunate that our losses are so low, it hits all the harder when one we know is among the dead.

I don't often comment on the notices that are posted for those we have lost. But I do read them and I can't help but look at the photos of such young, brave, dedicated Americans and feel sad for their loss and the grief their families must feel.

And it may not help much, but I am also proud that our nation continues to create and inspire such heoric men and women who will give their lives for our nation and our freedom.

I know that the Bible verse John 15:13 is sometimes overused. But it always comes to mind at moments like these:

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

Bless your friend and his family. We owe them a debt we can never repay.

CJ said...

Please pass along my condolences. When the family is up to it, we'd love to interview them to pay tribute on They Have Names.

Mark Harvey aka Snooper said...

cj...They Have Names...exactly so.

Nelson said...

God keep him. R.I.P.

Sarge Charlie said...

This old soldier will never forget what you did for us my friend, walk with God, you have earned the right.

AmPowerBlog said...

I'm sorry for the loss, Flag Gazer. My thoughts and prayers go out tonight.

Take care.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about this loss. May God bless you and the family, and give you strength. Our hearts go out to you. Those of us at ARMAD stand with you during this time of sorrow.
Emery / Amateur Radio Military Appreciation Day

Anonymous said...

I was just wondering when is the funeral service and where. I heard its down in SC. I wanna go to it.. If anyone know about it. please contact me at 719-231-1567 or email me at psycho_ridaz@yahoo.com thanks.... The name is Mike.... RIP Sgt. Craig, SSG. Jefferies, CPL. Marshall, Spc. Meyer, and PFC. Young. You guys in good hand now...