Wednesday, February 14, 2007

PFC Brian Browning ~ Farewell and Walk with God

PFC Brian Browning

KIA February 6, 2007

Baghdad, Iraq


Brian's father, Perry Browning, with Brian's flagpole.
The US, Army (for Brian) and Navy (for his Dad) flags all rest at half-staff.
Photos from the Daily Astorian.


Pfc. Brian A. Browning, 20, of Astoria, Oregon, died Feb. 6 in Baghdad, Iraq, of wounds suffered from enemy small arms fire while conducting security operations, when the guard tower he was manning came under fire. Browning was assigned to the 4th Battalion, 31st Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division, Fort Drum, N.Y.

Brian is remembered by his parents as a "smart-aleck" with a soft side who drifted until he was inspired to join the Army and turn his life into one with direction and purpose.

Brian dropped out of school in the 10th grade. He eventually enrolled at the Tongue Point Job Corps Center. He decided he wanted to join the military. When the recruiter informed him he could not get in without a high school diploma, he devoted himself to his studies, got his GED in March 2005 and enlisted three months later. Additionally, he had to loose weight and get in shape - but, he was dedicated to the goal that he set for himself.

"When he was home on leave, he was looking at pictures of himself from before, and he noticed how far he had come," his father said.

The war in Iraq had been going on for two years when Brian enlisted. he was fully aware he would likely be sent to Iraq when he signed up. But, he believed in the mission and wanted to support his country and the troops already there. He began his tour of duty in Iraq in August 2006.

Brian was home on leave in January. He told his family he was considering making the army a career, and possibly becoming a paratrooper.

Brian is survived by his parents, Paula and Perry Browning, a sister, Roiann of Portland and her daughter Kasey.

We keep PFC Brian Browning's family and friends in our hearts and prayers. May you rest in peace and walk with God.

Source material: The Daily Astorian, The Salem-News.com, the Oregonian.

4 comments:

Sarge Charlie said...

My condolences and heartfelt grief for PFC Browning and his family,

2 Timothy 4:7,8
7) I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8) Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

Anonymous said...

FG,

I have to admit to you that many times I absolutely hate coming to your blog. At times, it seems that it is little more than a memorial for fallen soldiers. This is in no way a negative thing of course, I simply and quite literally cannot handle the truth sometimes. Yes, yes, even this "tough, grizzled Army-guy". I find myself shying away from the realities of this war even though I have been fighting in it since 2003. You put the truth out there, and I applaud you for it. I may be the tough guy on the ground, but you have more strength than I to learn the stories of these fallen heroes and post them for the world to see. For that, I thank you, the cost cannot be ignored.

Unknown said...

I may have known Brian long But I Did attend Tongue Point Job Corps, I did know him as I resided in the same dormitory and I must say He was quite a character and A good friend to many.. I know for sure he'll be missed by many...

Colin Lundgren of Seattle Wa...

FANTASY HALL!!

Anonymous said...

We miss you Brian .. I know your family misses you so much & the guys of the unit are fight on for you !! They will be home soon an to know you an so many others who walked out the doors with them to head to Iraq wont be walking in the doors with them to be welcomed home .. But you did get your own welcome home an it was beautiful an very honerable for a hero.
God Bless
Mary Cruise
Proud 4th battalion 31st Infantry wife