Wednesday, October 31, 2007

SGT Joshua C Brennan ~ Farewell and Walk with God






Oregon has lost another son. SGT Joshua C Brennan, 22, of Ontario, Oregon was killed in an ambush during combat operations on October 25, in Korengal Valley, Afghanistan. SGT Brennan died from his wounds on October 26. He was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 503rd Airborne Infantry Regiment, 173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team, Vicenza, Italy.

Josh graduated from Ontario High School in 2003. He grew up in Oregon with his mother and spent parts of his summers with his father in Wisconsin. He worked part-time during high school and still maintained good grades and participated in sports.

On Josh's My Space Page he writes:
About me: I'm a Sergeant in the Army and I've been in about 3 and a half years now. I am based out of Vicenza, Italy and am getting ready to go back to Afghanistan. I'm originally from Eastern Oregon. I like football, baseball, and weightlifting. Some other hobbies of mine are listening to music, traveling, and meeting new people. I like people with a sense of humor and are really down to earth.
Who I'd like to meet: Anyone who has a real personality and is down to Earth. I hate snobs and assholes so if either apply don't bother. Oh yeah, and I hate talking about the war.

Josh and his mother communicated through their My Space Pages. Earlier in the week, SSG Larry Rougle lost his life and Josh's mom played "Heaven Was Needing a Hero" on her page. "Never in my wildest dreams did I know heaven was needing him, too," she said. She has written on her My Space Page: Rest in peace my Son, Rest in peace.......... This site will be under construction for the next several weeks in memory of our beloved Son, Joshua Charles Brennan, killed in action in the Korengal Valley of Afghanistan on October 26, 2007........................................I cannot find the words at the present time to describe the anguish, the loss, the void in my life now...... there are so very many people who loved him, looked up to him and considered him to be their personal hero. For the men of the 173rd Airborne Brigade who served by his side in battle ........I know you are hurting also. I know you loved Joshua. You are all in my heart, my thoughts and my prayers for your continued safety and return home to your loved ones.................................May God bless each and every one of you and shield you with his Armor...

Josh was shot in the leg in August. In a firefight with the Taliban, Josh was shot in the leg.
He continued to fight for several hours, then made his way down the mountain for help.

Last week, Josh was shot again. This time he was shot in the chest. The Taliban fighters tried to carry him off,  but SPC Sal Giunta (now Staff Sergeant) was able to rescue him from the Taliban.  Sadly, Josh died from his wounds the next day.  Also killed in the fire fight was the medic in the unit, SPC Hugo Mendoza.

Josh had already received a Bronze Star during his first tour of duty in Afghanistan. He also received the soldier of the year award for the 173rd Airborne Brigade.

Update:  SSG Sal Giunta will be awarded the Medal of Honor for his role in this firefight on November 16, 2010

Please enjoy this tribute from his family:








9 comments:

MaryAnn said...

Thank you for this moving tribute, FG.

My thoughts and prayers are with the Brennan family. Rest in peace, Josh.

Marie's Two Cents said...

What a brave young man.

Walk with God Indeed.

Beautiful Video Tribute also.

This was a great post :-)

Anonymous said...

He sounds like the epitome of the American paratrooper. Godspeed...

Anonymous said...

My heart pours out to you and your family. What a brave young man. Words are not enough to express feelings for your loss. God Bless you and your family.

ibpenny said...

My heart aches....for the loss of this brave young man, the loss of the fellow young soldier attempting to save him and for the pride I feel in our soldiers AND my country. My son was critically injured in Iraq in May of '06, but he's well now, except for the loss of his left eye, and he intends fully to go back to Iraq. These young men are the treasure of this country as well as our country's elite. I would gladly lay MY life on the line to protect their honor from those who would disparage it. God bless his mother, father, sisters, brothers, (biological and brothers-in-arms) and his entire family, his friends, and his hometown for their precious sacrifice.

Anonymous said...

Josh was a good friend to alot of people. We will never forget Josh "chuck" Brennan.
RM 28 will never be the same.

Anonymous said...

Sgt Brennan's ultimate sacrifice will never be forgotten or discounted. He was a brave, selfless man who will forever be a hero and role model of what everyone young man should aspire to be. May his family find solace in loving memories. I wish peace to Sgt Brennan and his family and friends. Americans are grateful for his service to our great Nation.

Anonymous said...

I was just reading about Josh. He was the epitomy of the American Soldier. My heart is breaking to read the story of his last moments. Joshua and his fellow soldiers are my heroes. May the memories of Josh provide you with comfort. I still don't understand the cliche "the good die young". I wish your son was still here, he sounds like a wonderful person. R.I.P. Sgt. Joshua Brennan. Fly with the angels!

Anonymous said...

Nick B. from Boise riding with the Patriot Guard who were honored to stand for Josh at his Memorial ceremony. I did not know Josh personally, and that did not matter. What did matter was God knew Josh and those who served with him.