Monday, November 17, 2008

A Mom and 'Her Guys'


This is my friend, Knottie, and a group of soldiers from the 101st Airborne. Over Veteran's Day, they returned home after a long deployment in Iraq.

One soldier did not return with his unit - SPC Micheal "Pokey" Phillips was killed in action on 24 February 2008. But, his mother never stopped supporting and loving her guys, and she was there when they got home. And, she shares her story...

On Nov. 11th, Veteran's Day, we packed our car and loaded up the family to head to Ft. Campbell. The men my son served with were on their way home from Iraq, two months early, and I was finally going to get to meet and hug these men who have become so important in my life.

As we drove on Veteran's Day I thought about how lucky the people in this country are to have the men and women of our military. Between it being Veterans day and where we were heading I had no choice but to see things from a perspective most Americans fail to look at. We drove without fear of IEDs. There were no check points. We could stop along the way and not fear snipers or suicide bombers. When we were hungry we had a multitude of options. And I knew without a doubt that these freedoms and this security are due fully to the fact we have such an outstanding group of people who made the choice to wear the uniform and defend these things.

I realized also.. we have WON in Iraq....

To read the rest, go here - http://knottiesniche.blogspot.com/2008/11/theyre-home.html
And, please, leave a message for Knottie.....


SPC Micheal "Pokey" Phillips

12 comments:

Annie said...

Thank you Flag, for sharing this! I will be forwarding it to my contacts. :*

Buck said...

And, please, leave a message for Knottie....

Done. What a sad and wonderful... at the same time... post. Thanks for the link.

Anonymous said...

I believe I'll pass this along to my friends as well. Thanks C, for sharing.

Unknown said...

Knottie is not only a total hoot and a half, fun as heck and sweet as they come, she is a very special lady.

I only hope she knows just how much what she does for these men means to them and to me and so many others.

Now SHE is and American Hero!

Claire said...

Very touching story, and our Gold Star mothers are worth more than gold. They are priceless!

Unknown said...

Amazing story of strength and courage!

~AirmanMom reurning to her blog...

Wandafay said...

Thank you Flag for posting this about our friend Knottie! Thank you Knottie for the sacrifice of your precious son. And to your boys who love you and all the troops you are all the very best of America!

Sarge Charlie said...

thanks for posting this, I stopped by and thanked her also

Knottie said...

Thank you for your kind words all.

Douglas V. Gibbs said...

Thank you so much for sharing this.

brityank said...

Thank you for the tweet earlier today; a great story worth the kleenex.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this. Bless Knottie and all her guys. You, too, my friend Flag Gazer!