Monday, April 09, 2007

The Fall of Saddam - The Fourth Anniversary

Saddam Statue Toppled in Firdos Square
Defenselink Photo

The U.S. and coalition forces' air and ground campaign launched March 20, 2003, quickly overwhelmed Saddam's military. The dictator's rule was effectively ended on April 9, when American troops in downtown Baghdad pulled down a metal statute of the dictator amid the cheers of elated Iraqis.


I remember vividly where I was the moment this picture was taken. I was out-of-town on a business trip and feeling caught without news on the new war front. The people I was with didn't seem to know or care that we had troops in battle in Iraq. I had returned to my room, crawled into bed, and turned on the TV, when I saw the events playing out in Firdos Square. I called home - "Turn on the TV" - we watched it together, though hundreds of miles apart, my tears and sobs much louder than his, but we both wept at the sight of the Iraqis celebrating the overthrow of this evil dictator, Saddam Hussein.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should watch this. It is a followup on one of the guys who was involved in bringing down the statue: http://youtube.com/watch?v=qpj-isxz6R4