Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A Bit of Joy for a Fallen Warrior's Family


This is the last picture taken of Spc Justin Rollins. The puppy was part of a litter he and his buddies had found while out on patrol. The next day, Justin lost his life in an IED attack. He died on March 5, in Samarra, Iraq. He was with the 82nd Airborne Division. His girlfriend, Brittney Murray, went on a quest to find the puppy and bring it back to his family in Manchester, New Hampshire.



The puppy, named Hero, arrived in New Hampshire after a 6,000 mile trip. She is now a member of the Rollins family.

"He really did believe in what he was fighting for," Rhonda Rollins said of her paratrooper son. "I think he'd be thrilled there was a positive story from the negative thing that happened to us. ... He was such a happy-go-lucky guy."

9 comments:

Ray said...

Nice story as usual here, hope you and yours had a fine Memorial day weekend Flag.

Flag Gazer said...

Thanks, Ray.
You, too!

Anonymous said...

oohh. thank you.

Flag Gazer said...

De'on - this made me cry!!!

Anonymous said...

Soldiers and dogs stories always make me cry.

This one especially.

Flag Gazer said...

Yankeemom - I agree!

Cat is my co-pilot said...

Oh, tears me up, too! Pets can have such a healing affect on a family. Every time someone new meets Hero they'll tell the story of how their son saved the puppy (so to speak). What a great way to introduce their son to those they meet and keep his memory alive for those who already knew and loved him.

Flag Gazer said...

Cat - I couldn't have said it better!

Amazing Gracie said...

I saw this story on FOX news and it got to me. Unlike Mz. Sheehan, who should've gotten a dog! These people see the brave heart of their son!